allan smitheeSep 23 12:58 PM
am sure it has been discussed ad nauseam on FallNet but still, I'm a late comer so consider this only a humourous reminder/take on "Fall Things"; prolly have been on list only 4 or 5 years tho I *really* am a fan of The Fall & *most* things Mark E. Smith even though I had to take the "Blood Oath" that's now a requirement for FallNet Membership. Btw JC, the scar is healing very nicely thank you, the prison tattoo of Mark E. Smith's Mug not so much...
nick here, nick there: track 12 "I Am Damo Suzuki" from "This Nation's Saving Grace" - opening riff & whole song really, very very close to Bauhaus' Bela Lugosi's Dead.
separated at birth?: Mark E. Smith & Robin Banks (via The Clash Close Up & Personal - DVD & Book Set)
Have a Great Weekend All!
1) great opening song. one of the best in many many years. heavy, rhythmic bass drums, spare guitar instrumentation, very cool & random seeming keyboard riff. nice female backing vocals. definitely a winner.
2) album "rocks" all the way through except for 2 or 3 slow songs & some "rockabillyish" tunes but so what. and that song "Blindness" Just Kicks ASS!!
3) the 2 or 3 slow & spare "acoustic" tunes are some, if not the most "beautiful" songs ever committed to tape by the Fall. very spare instrumentation *plus* Mark E. Smith's lyrics seem almost introspective... as if these were life changing experiences.
4) lyrically, the album seems very "personal", i.e., lived through by Smith as opposed to the usual "stream of consciousness" word of play. not better or worse but different. ok, better.
5) did I mention that the album flat out rocks, whether songs are "fast" or not, i.e., soft or hard?
6) lastly, without being a "Fall" Fan, the album sounds great & youthful though there are hints of estrangement & "jadedness" i.e. you know.,. "youthfulness" throughout.
7) Matador Records & Gerard Cosloy would have loved to release this album instead of the one they did. just saying.
8) have you listened lately to latter day Fall Albums recently instead of always listening to "the Classic", early stuff? some of it is *really* fuckin' good :-)
Note: this is the opinion of a long-time Fall Fan, though not from the 1st album... don't really remember, maybe "This Nations Saving Grace."
Mark E. Smith (Frontman of The Fall) - Favourite Meal: "Pumpkin Soup and Mashed Potatoes"
allan smithee Sep 17 1:25 PM
"Mark E. Smith has gone from loathsome yet charming-like eccentric to disgusting & deplorable human being as evidenced by some recent behaviour such as wearing wet urine-stained trousers on stage at the Glastonbury Festival while The Fall performed. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out he's a bit of a 'poofter' nowadays."
Who Said This?
A) Sir Elton John
B) Paul Francis Gadd, aka "Gary Glitter," Prisoner at HMP Albany on the Isle of Wight, Convicted of Sexual Abuse Agaist Minors
C) Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys fame
D) Noel Gallagher, formerly of Oasis
E) Brix Smith, former Fall member and ex-wife of Fall Frontman Mark E. Smith, now budding Author & Performance Artist
F) FallNet Consensus ;-)
Jeff Curtis Sep 17 1:38 PM
>Who Said This?
> "Mark E. Smith has gone from loathsome yet charming-like eccentric to disgusting"
Mark E. Smith has gone from loathsome yet charming-like eccentric to disgustingdeplorable human being as evidenced by some recent behaviour such as wearing wet urine-stained trousers on stage at the Glastonbury Festival while The Fall performed.
It also wouldn't surprise me to find out he's a bit of a 'poofter' nowadays."Who Said This?
A) Sir Elton JohnBitchy old queen so possible -- but would the great man deign to comment on somebody so far down the biz sleb alphabet?
B) Paul Francis Gadd, aka "Gary Glitter," Prisoner at HMP Albany on the Isle of Wight,Doesn't sound like my good friend and yours The Lead-uh!
Convicted of Sexual Abuse Agaist Minors
C) Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys fameYeah. might be. Possible bitchy old queen PLUS he once described his pop band as a "project" therefore instantly achieving cunt-status. Nothing better to do that comment on other elderly pop persons.
D) Noel Gallagher, formerly of Oasis
He wouldn't describe anyone as "deplorable"
(hANG ON - IS THIS A TRICK QUESTION? wAS IT hILLARY cLINTON?)
E) Brix Smith, former Fall member and ex-wife of Fall Frontman Mark E. Smith,
& now budding Author & Performance ArtistCould be her. She's touting her bokke isn't she. Apart from that circumstantial evidence I'd say (hope) not.
F) FallNet Consensus ;-)Not unless it's in one of the 102 unread.
So I go for Neil fucking Tennant
Bingo. We've got a F*llnet Consensus.
Also she's obviously MES's twin:
1. Past-it physical wreck who keeps falling over
2. Drugged up.
3. Plays to tiny audiences
4. Notorious bursts of anger and forgetting the lyrics
5. Mysterious accidents and broken bones.
6. Leaks top secret intel reports
7. stupid trousers.