Sunday, September 25, 2016

Recent Comments During Past Month or So Left on Various Fave Blogs

Philebrity


Allan Smithee Saturday, September 24, 2016 1:18 AM

I *always* laugh to myself when you bitch & moan about the death of "rock criticism"... cause you're generally referring to tangible print but man Sweeney, your "rock writing" is always good, if not, at least intelligent & generally entertaining. Regards.


Can't Stop The Bleeding

"Allan Smithee" says:
#1  9/5/2016 at 5:59 pm

this comment is off-topic but was curious none-the-less. am currently listening to a couple of fave cds (Matador Artists coincidently, Chavez to be specific) and was wondering since you are in the “biz”… sometimes it takes me quite a few listens to really begin to enjoy some recently released or even "old" music, Pavement’s Wowee Zowee for example. So I was wondering, how you also begin to enjoy some "difficult" music when I’m sure there is *always* more “product” to hear. thx.

GC says:
#2  9/6/2016 at 2:36

you’re 100% correct, this is very off-topic.

I listen to a lot of stuff, old and new. Not all of it particularly related to the projects I’m working on and rarely with the mindset that I’m “scouting” or sniffing or snorting for whoever or whatever. I’m not gonna tell you that everything I’ve ever liked hit me immediately or that certain bands or records aren’t something of an acquired taste, nor can I claim to be the most open-minded listener with the widest musical background (though it’s probably a lot wider in 2016 than it was in 1986).

I try not to think of the “product” side of things when i’m trying to appreciate a composition, a performance and a recording (in that order). That doesn’t mean I’m not mindful of the fact records we’re working on, stuff we’ve commissioned, etc. has a commercial expectation slightly beyond that of The Haters’ ‘Wind Licked Dirt’.


"Allan Smithee" says:
#3  9/6/2016 at 5:45 pm

One last thing. Know you currently reside in Austin. Here in Philadelphia, seems most of our Record Stores have closed & just disappeared almost overnight. Sorta sad.


GC says:
#4  9/7/2016 at 1:02 am

frustrating for sure. However, you still have Philadelphia Record Exchange!

..........


Philebrity


Allan Smithee
Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:16 AM

Top notch stuff Sweeney. Glad Philebrity is back, but what took you so long? All the staff quit over the summer? ;-) Also, glad you mentioned the "Jeweler's Row" Tear Down... seems nobody in this City really gives a fuck about her history, read, Arch. History which is really strange :-/

..........

Aquarium Drunkard


yes, Mag Earwhig! is great. also enjoy Sunfish Holy Breakfast & the collab between Pollard & Doug(forgot his last name) Speak Kindly. oh yeah, Tonics is a great GBV album

| Allan Smithee September 5th, 2016 at 9:14 pm

..........

You probably think I suck but I always really enjoyed Green Mind.