Monday, November 16, 2009

Ol' Blue Eyes

New Live Release Info:

Frank Sinatra: New York

If the Big Apple had a voice, it would no doubt be the voice of Sinatra. Only Ol' Blues Eyes could match the city in vivacity, sophistication and above all else, universal appeal. This 5-disc collection of never-before-released live recordings finds the singer doing what he did best, performing, in the city that he loved best!

• 4 CD / 1 DVD
• Over 70 unreleased songs
• 45-page booklet

Weighing in at 71 tracks, SINATRA: NEW YORK chronicles the very finest of his legendary shows, from 1955 all the way to 1984, at world famous venues and New York City landmarks such as Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and even the United Nations.

The 4CD/1DVD set delivers knock-out live versions of classic tunes such as “They Can’t Take That Away From Me,” “I Get A Kick Out Of You,” “I've Got You Under My Skin,” “My Kind Of Town,” “The Lady Is A Tramp,” and much, much more.

The 45-page booklet, complete with never-before-seen photos, contains an insiders look at the singer, the actor and the man himself as recounted by Frank Sinatra, Jr., columnist Nat Hentoff, sound engineer Tom Young, photographer George Kalinsky, Joe & Sal Scognamillo of Patsy’s, directors William Friedkin and Martin Scorsese, baseball great Yogi Berra, and choreographer Twyla Tharp.


TRACKLIST

Disc 1:
Manhattan Center, 1955
1. I’ll Never Smile Again
2. Oh! Look At Me Now
3. This Love Of Mine
United Nations, 1963
4. Too Marvelous For Words
5. They Can’t Take That Away From Me
6. I Have Dreamed
7. A Foggy Day
8. My Heart Stood Still
9. I Get A Kick Out Of You

Disc 2:
Carnegie Hall, April 8, 1974
1. Overture
2. Come Fly With Me
3. I Get A Kick Out Of You
4. Don’t Worry About Me
5. If
6. Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
7. Medley:
i. Last Night When We Were Young
ii. Violets For Your Furs
iii. Here’s That Rainy Day
8. Bows – “You Will Be My Music”
9. Monologue
10. My Way
11. You Will Be My Music
12. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
13. Send In The Clowns
14. That’s Life
15. Bows – “My Way”
16. There Used To Be A Ballpark
17. My Kind Of Town
18. Bows – “My Way”

Disc 3:
Madison Square Garden, October 12, 1974
1. Overture
2. The Lady Is A tramp
3. I Get A Kick Out Of You
4. What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?
5. Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
6. Let Me Try Again (Laisse Moi le Temps)
7. Send In The Clowns
8. My Kind Of Town
9. Monologue
10. Autumn In New York
11. If
12. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
13. Angel Eyes
14. The House I Live In
15. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
16. My Way
17. Bows – “My Way”

Disc 4:
Carnegie Hall, June 1984
1. Fly Me To The Moon
2. Luck Be A Lady
3. This Is All I Ask
4. Come Rain Or Come Shine
5. Monologue
6. My Way
7. Teach Me Tonight
8. Pennies From Heaven
Radio City Music Hall, June 1990
9. For Once In My Life
10. Stranger In The Night
11. Monologue
12. Mack The Knife
13. Summer Wind
14. Theme From New York, New York
15. Bows ‘Good-Bye’

DVD:
Carnegie Hall, 1980
1. I’ve Got The World On A String
2. The Best Is yet To Come
3. The Lady Is A Tramp
4. When Your Lover has Gone
5. This Is All I Ask
6. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
7. Summer Me, Winter Me
8. Street Of Dreams
9. The Gal That Got Away/It Never Entered My Mind (Medley)
10. I Can’t Get Started
11. Send In The Clowns
12. Come Fly With Me
13. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
14. You And Me (We Wanted It All)
15. The Song Is You
16. Theme From New York, New York


My Sinatra Moment:

Back in the early-late '90s, I was a plant technician in NYC... You know, the guy who waters and services the plants in your office or home. One of my clients was General Electric CEO Jack Welch & then wife Jane (Beasley).

I visited their residence at the Waldorf Towers in midtown Manhattan off Park Avenue twice a week for a couple of years. Would take the service elevator to the 20-something floor and knock on the door waiting for the housekeeper to let me in.

While waiting to be let in one day, I spied a large man sitting on a chair outside another apartment down the hall. Before I could knock again, the 325 lb. no-neck approached me asking "What are you doing here?"

Turning around, I looked up at him and replied "Huh? Oh, watering the plants at the Welch residence."

After a slight pause, he spoke again. "Mr. Sinatra is resting right now. I think it would be better if you came back some other time. Mr. Sinatra needs his peace and quiet."

"Oh, Okay," I said quickly agreeing with his assessment...

And just as quickly, I left for my next account at another location.

Fin.


Favorite Sinatra Tune:

Summer Wind