Wednesday, June 24, 2009

सुम्मेर स्प्रिंग

One spring or summer years ago as a teenager, I wanted to experience vertigo and see what the fuss was about. Having read somewhere that divers must always follow their air bubbles to the surface when completely confused and in danger of drowning, I decided to experiment...

Went to the backyard (*) and jumped into the swimming pool. After spending a minute or two taking deep breaths and expanding my lungs went to the bottom of the deep end and exhaled some air and then followed the bubbles to the surface. Simple enough. Just follow the air bubbles to the surface.

Took some more deep breaths and went back under. Did about 5-10 quick front flips, released air, and followed bubbles to the surface. Too easy. Definitely not confused so did it again with the same disappointing results.

Then I tried it a final time. Did about 15-20 front flips. Released air except that the bubbles went the wrong way. What I thought was down was where the bubbles were traveling to. Regardless, FOLLOW THE BUBBLES. Feeling panic, didn't think I was gonna make it to the surface. I did. Strange and frightening sensation. Down was up and Up was down.

Just typing this is making my head hurt.

.................................................................................

(*) streetview